sábado, 10 de octubre de 2009

Escher in Het Paleis





































My English teacher encouraged me to make a review about some museum I have visited, in order to practice a possible exam writing exercise, and I thought it would be a nice idea to share with you my review.

I was travelling around Belgium, The Netherlands, and Germany in May with two friends, and I have a vivid memory of one museum in Den Haag that we visited, because I was really impressed by the artist's work. The name of the artist is Maurits Cornelius Escher, a well known dutch painter, and the museum is called Escher in Het Paleis, which means (i think) Escher in Het palace.


It is not a very famous one, far from the luxury of other Dutch museums, but, for me, it is the most interesting in terms of contents.
For those who are familiar with Escher's work, his style is easily recognizeable, with his incredible accuracy, and his impossible and shoking perspective experiments, not to mention his geometric, jigsaw-like compositions.

On the first floor, you can see his early work, most of it carried out during his stay in Italy.


These are mainly realistic paintings of Italian landscapes, greatly influenced by a youthful visit to the Alhambra of Granada, where he developed an obsession for Maths that remained as a key element of his art during the whole of his career.
On the second floor, they show his most important and famous works. If you are an Escher admirer, the visit is definitely worth the time and money spent on it, because the museum owns more than 95 per cent of Escher's legacy.






























And the third floor is a funny, interactive-focused area where you can experiment with dimensions, and points of view, with attractions inspired by Escher's work which should help you to increase your understanding of this artist's approach to art.
I highly recommend everyone to visit it. You will find, in one building, all the work of a different artist, and I bet you will enjoy it as much as I did, even If you are not an habitual museum visitor.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario